This weekend was a blur of driving around (running errands and being consumers), doing laundry, playing ball with the dog, and weeding the side garden (wife) – all during the nicest (sunny, warm) weather we’ve seen in several months. Spending a weekend day running errands always embarrassingly reminds me of that scene in Old School, especially if we find ourselves at both the Lowe’s AND the Bed, Bath, & Beyond on the same day.
Weekend highlights are included, but not limited to:
- Confirming that our next door neighbor is pregnant and due in early July. They are a cute couple, around our age (maybe a bit younger, even?) – he is a high school teacher and swim coach, she is a stay at home mom with their 2 year old. They have Obama stickers on their cars. We are often commiserating over the fence about our 1950’s housing woes, our dogs, or lawns. We remember their names, but figure they refer to us in private as “the lesbians” and “the one with the brown hair” vs. “the one with the blonde hair.” There’s a whole unwritten post somewhere about how excited we are to find out that we’re due within weeks of each other, giving Vegas a built-in next door neighbor friend.
- Finding that the Target has restocked the elusive undershirts I’ve been raving about, and buying out the two packages they restocked. This brings my total undershirt count to six, which should satisfy my needs, and at least prevent me from writing more letters to the manufacturers about where to buy them online.
- Eating the most delicious home-cooked dinner on the back deck, starring the pulled pork that had been cooking for four hours.
- Watching my indoor herb garden come to life in its little greenhouse on the kitchen windowsill – sprouts of basil, oregano, and now parsley (thanks for joining us, parsley) have shot up out of their soil and turned green.
- Feeling Vegas move. A lot. Especially when my wife is talking to him. Smiles all around.
Some low points include:
- Struggling to find a comfortable location in our living room to watch the TV. This doesn’t sound like it would be too hard, hm? But we have the world’s most (lovely, brown leather) uncomfortable couches. We have a recliner, but even that makes my back hurt. Every night for the past few days, I’ve tried different positions, pillows behind my back, the balance ball as a footrest, and not one way will keep me comfortable for longer than ten minutes. It makes me miss terribly the ultra-comfortable hideous 1980’s white leather couches we had to sell when we moved, since they wouldn’t fit through the doors of the house.
- Rotten sleep due to a combination of discomfort, a bad cat, having to get up to use the bathroom, and fighting with Joe Jonas.
Today is a busy Monday, work-wise, with more meetings than usual, including one that spans from 12pm-1:30pm, but is not, in fact, a lunch meeting. That’s just plain wrong, folks.